Soliyarn is leveraging vapor deposition technology to revolutionize the way we think about
clothing. Our conductive fabric coatings let us build cutting edge smart garments with
lightweight heating and biometric sensing capabilities, which has generated significant
interest from commercial outerwear brands and military outfitters. We use the same
technology to generate lasting waterproof protection without altering the feel of the
underlying fabric – all while offsetting the environmental toll of textile production.
With backing from the National Science Foundation, US Air Force, and US Special Operations
Command, Soliyarn is primed for success in the e-textile space. We have recently raised $7.7M
combined public-private funding from the State of Massachusetts and Huvis Global, a South
Korean textile giant. We’re looking to grow rapidly, with the goal of mass producing our coated
fabrics within the next 12 months. If you’re an adaptive worker with a self-starter attitude, and
you thrive in an energetic startup environment, then we would love to have you on our team.
We are looking for a Junior R&D Engineer to work with our engineering team to assist with our
Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) research and production. You will work both independently
and as a second set of hands for our Senior R&D Engineers. You will primarily assist with the
research on conductive and waterproof coatings, but there will also be plenty of opportunities
to get involved with every other aspect of our process.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with Senior R&D Engineers to operate CVD chambers, producing both
conductive and waterproof fabrics, and eventually learning to perform depositions
- Test fabrics for coating robustness, record results, and communicate those results to
the Senior R&D Engineer to develop research strategies.
- Construct heated/biosensing garments with our prototyping team during times of
- Potentially assist in technical writing for available grants.
- Work under general direction, independently identifying and developing approaches to
- Attend management meetings and provide suggestions for operational excellence and
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering, materials engineering, polymer science &
engineering, or related education.
- Experienced in or curious about working in a start-up environment and excited to work
in fast paced dynamic landscape. Must be a self-starter and work well in ambiguity.
- Able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize work activities both
independently and in a team environment.
- An independent problem solver, hands-on scientist, highly upbeat, great teammate,
- Experienced with any of the following (desirable, but not required): vacuum systems,
Solidworks/CAD Software, LabVIEW, Arduino, electronic assembly/integration, power
tools, and/or sewing.
Why Work at Soliyarn
- Soliyarn values your input. We want you to influence how we innovate upon our
processes and engineering solutions.
- Everything we do is a learning experience: Whether it is a win, or a shared mistake, we
take every opportunity to improve ourselves and learn from one another.
- We are Doers. As a late-stage startup, we have a steady stream of tasks to prioritize. We
make sure everything we do contributes to solving problems proactively.
- You will never get bored working at Soliyarn. Every project is a new challenge that
requires creative solutions that will expand your professional tool bag.
- We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative
people to solve the challenges we are working on. We are looking to onboard a determined
and excited R&D Engineer who will be part of an early team and be exposed to a fast-paced
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,000.00 – $80,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Charlestown, MA 02129: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- SolidWorks: 1 year (Preferred)
- LabView: 1 year (Preferred)